The Times Higher Education has released the World University Rankings for 2020.
And the University of Oxford has topped the list for the fourth consecutive time. This prestigious university located in the United Kingdom is followed by the California Institute of Technology, and the University of Cambridge at the second and third place respectively. Stanford University and Massachusettes Institute of Technology are listed at number four and five, finishing off the top five best universities in the world.
While universities from the United Kingdom took the first and third place, universities from the United States have taken 14 of the top 20 positions on the list. Switzerland and Canada are the only two countries outside the USA and UK to break into the top 20 with ETH Zurich and the University of Toronto taking the 14th and 18th positions respectively.
Here is a list of the top twenty universities in the world:
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- California Institute of Technology, United States
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Stanford University, United States
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
- Princeton University, United States
- Harvard University, United States
- Yale University, United States
- University of Chicago, United States
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- University of Pennsylvania, United States
- Johns Hopkins University, United States
- University of California, Berkeley, United States
- ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- UCL, United Kingdom
- Columbia University, United States
- University of California, Los Angeles, United States
- University of Toronto, Canada
- Cornell University, United States
- Duke University, United States
According to the website, the rankings have analysed over 1,300 universities in 92 nations on five major parameters: Teaching (the learning environment); Research (volume, income and reputation); Citations (research influence); International outlook (staff, students and research); and Industry Income (knowledge transfer).